Someanimals have a greater influence than others on which they occupy. These are “keystone species”, species that ensure the ecological balance of their environment and whose protection or reintroduction allows . Among these key species, we obviously find pollinators such as but also or even seas. But some of the biggest terrestrial are also included in its composition.
Resurgence of large carnivores and herbivores restores biodiversity
Organization Research(UNEP) Highlights the fact that the reintroduction of some large, sometimes unloved mammals would have a significant impact on the global recovery our planet. Study published in the journal identifies 7 predators and 13 important for the ecological balance of various regions of the globe:
- In Europe reintroduction eurasian beaver, the wolf and lynx will restore historic large mammal populations in 35 ecoregions.
- In Asia, the reintroduction of wild horses and wolves into the Himalayas would increase the number of large mammals in the region by 89%.
- In Africa reintroduction of hippos, from ceseb municipalities, and from can more than double biodiversity.
- In North America, targeted reintroduction or improved protection american, american bison and will have a major impact on and flora.
- In South America reintroduction pacarana, pampas deer, and the white-lipped peccary “restores” hundreds of thousands of square kilometers.
Effects on vegetation and carbon sequestration
According to Unep, only 15% of the earth’s landmass is currently occupied by large mammals. The reintroduction of these key species in certain and suitable areas could restore the biodiversity of 1/4 of the planet through their action on.
A striking example of recent years isin Yellowstone National Park in the US in the 1990s: predators, among other things, allowed rivers and grasslands to regenerate because they keep herbivores like deer constantly moving. Vegetation has been able to renew itself and diversify even further, allowing many endangered species such as beavers to thrive. In its turn, allowed rivers to breed more, and these fish could then feed other species.
We now know that, at the climatic level, greater plant and animal biodiversity allowsin the ground it who is one of the main culprits . Just like oceans and forests and grasslands are real and the greater the variety of plants, the more , to the ground. Thus, the reintroduction of large mammals allows not only to restore the entire cycle of biodiversity, but also to take part in mitigating the effects of global warming.